"We can exhaust ourselves by seeking significance in what we do and how we are known, hoping that we will be remembered after we are gone. Or, we can lay our lives on God's altar; squandering them in the world's eyes, but entrusting our legacy to our Maker."
[John Piper]


>> June 9, 2010

Life has been pretty darn great lately.
And by pretty darn, I mean really, legitimately great.
.
.
About two weeks ago I made the decision to stop taking my anti-depression medication. I've been on this medication for about six months, and I am relieved to no longer be on it. This decision has come with a simple realization; a realization that has rocked the foundation of my heart, and a realization that I earnestly pray will impact the rest of my life....
.
Let it go.
.
That's right. Three words have drastically altered my outlook on my world. I'll explain...
.
When I was diagnosed with depression, I was searching for a diagnosis. I desperately needed someone to tell me that I was sick and needed help. Well, I got help....in the form of pills. These pills acted as a band-aid on the gunshot wound that was my heart at the time. They helped, sure, but would never even begin to fix the real problem. I was sick, I still am sick...but I honestly don't believe the disease is "depression."
.
The real problem is my broken heart. As a Christ follower, I have accepted the truth that I am broken and lost, but through Jesus' love I am found and healed. I accepted that truth about two years ago...but never fully realized the impact of His love until about two weeks ago. I felt so incredibly trapped by my sin and depravity, and I knew my hardened heart was the real reason for my depression. And at that moment, I realized that I had to let it go.
.
I have to let go of these feelings of imperfection, needing desperately to be happy, and desiring affirmation. I have to let go of the sadness, disappointment, and worry. I have to let go of the hurt, betrayal, and loneliness. 
.
Instead, I have to put on joy...real life joy. The kind that unnaturally radiates through me because God's spirit is living inside me. I have to put on love...real life love. The difficult kind that 'covers a multitude of sins' and loves the people (including myself) that I don't always want to love. And I have to put on truth...real life truth. The bible kind of truth.
.
 In my search for a diagnosis, I found one. My sinful heart that is so engulfed in earthly desires it is ridiculous. And thankfully, I've also found the cure. A real cure, not just one that will make me feel warm fuzzies and make me think everything in this world is perfect and magical. But a cure that has stood the test of time, that is eternal, and that is God-breathed. I've found my cure in the words of God.
.
So....life is pretty darn great right now. In these past two weeks, I've been happier than I have been in about six months, pill free. Praise God!
.
.


0 comments: