"We can exhaust ourselves by seeking significance in what we do and how we are known, hoping that we will be remembered after we are gone. Or, we can lay our lives on God's altar; squandering them in the world's eyes, but entrusting our legacy to our Maker."
[John Piper]


Shoop Shoop

>> May 7, 2009

So I've been packing up my dorm little by little this past week, and it's gotten me feeling like quite the nomad. I realize that a lot of college kids feel like that, because they now have 2 homes instead of just one, but what if I have like 2 and 3/4? During my senior year, we moved out of my high school house to the north side...and it just never quite felt like home to me. Then I moved my stuff out here, to Michigan where for the longest time I didn't feel at home either. Between trips home, back and forth from my dad's house, and various other random trips...I've felt a little unsettled this past year. But now, just as I'm beginning to love it here, I have to drag out the suitcases and boxes and pack up my life yet again. Where to this time? Home? Yes, I suppose I call it that because that's where my family is...but isn't the saying "Home is where the heart is?" I don't think my heart is on Grace St in Spokane..


Hmm...so where is it? Luckily, my heart lately has been devoured in Christ's faithful nature. This has been running through my mind pretty much every day, when I think about moving home, not feeling like I really belong anywhere, etc...

"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4: 12-13

It is reassuring knowing that through EVERYTHING I do, God is there..no matter the address. I've been thinking a lot lately about how I tend to put my heart into my physical situations (relationships with friends, decorating my dorm room, trying to make E.L my home etc.) I realize that often times, my joy and happiness depends on those things, how they affect me...how I react to them. What a roller coaster that puts me on. But then I think about the times in my life where my heart is truly set in Jesus. How great are those times. I mean really, I yearn for that on a daily basis. So no matter whether I'm in Spokane, East Lansing, Seattle...or anywhere else I want to keep focused on my citizenship in heaven, and my actions will surely follow suit
.

0 comments: