"We can exhaust ourselves by seeking significance in what we do and how we are known, hoping that we will be remembered after we are gone. Or, we can lay our lives on God's altar; squandering them in the world's eyes, but entrusting our legacy to our Maker."
[John Piper]


"What I believe about God is THE most important thing about me." A.W. Tozer

>> May 28, 2009


If a third-party analyzer were to take a look at my spiritual life, what would he/she have to say about it?

Is it:
-active?
-submissive?
-apathetic?
-inspired?
-trusting?
-lazy?
-pure?
-non existent?
-phony?

This question may seem rather obscure, but thinking about it has given me a fresh perspective on my daily walk with Christ.

So I'm a Christian. I like to think that the majority of people who know me, whether they are long-time friends or just acquaintances, know that I am a Christ follower. They can associate the title of "Christian" with my name, that's simple. But how about the way I live my life? The little things throughout my day that I don't even think about? Am I "Christian" through the minutia? Random people at the movie theatre, in the parking garage, and in line in Starbucks don't know that I'm a YoungLife leader or that I read my bible most days, and that I follow Christ to the best of my abilities. I don't tell them that, but would it all seem shocking to them if they knew?

Think about it...I sin all the time. That's just a fact. I realize that, and am thankful for God's good grace. But what I don't often think about are the witnesses to that sin. Who sees it? Do they care? What would they say if they found out I call myself a Christian?

I realize that in the grand scheme of things, what people think of you isn't that important. But I strongly believe that being aware of the dichotomy between: how I present myself, and how people perceive me to actually be, can be monumental in giving myself reality checks along the way. I can say I'm a Christian all I want, and spew out bible references off the cuff...but if I am not a LIVING SACRIFICE then why bother? If I am not loving the way I am called to love, then my faith is all for show really.

Calling myself a Christ follower comes with built-in accountability that I have seem to forgotten, but hope to re-learn in the near future.
.

0 comments: