"We can exhaust ourselves by seeking significance in what we do and how we are known, hoping that we will be remembered after we are gone. Or, we can lay our lives on God's altar; squandering them in the world's eyes, but entrusting our legacy to our Maker."
[John Piper]


>> March 17, 2010

March 17th.
My favorite day of the whole year.
Yes, I am Irish and quite proud of it.
I remember St. Patrick's Day to be a celebration of that.
Our house would be decorated accordingly.
All of us would wear these shirts:

Mom would make us green pancakes for breakfast and clover shaped sandwiches for lunch.
Then, came dinner.
Oh, St. Paddy's Day dinner.
.

This magically became...
.
Pasties. 
Not to be confused with pasty (pay-stee) which coincidently describes the skin tone of us Irish folk.
.
.
Lamb and Guinness Stew.
.
.
Irish Soda Bread.
.
.
These are the things that I love about this holiday. 
Celebrating our heritage with my family,
and responsibly enjoying a Guinness or two..
.
Unfortunately, St. Patrick's Day in college looks nothing like that. The local bars are packed to capacity at 7:00am and classrooms are relatively empty. Apparently my favorite holiday has become an excuse to get hammered drunk all day long, as the Irish do. Well, when non-Irish kids drink that much, it usually isn't pretty.  I didn't celebrate the holiday today, because how could I? I don't binge drink, or drink at all really...I live in a dorm and can't cook up the usual meals, and my family isn't here. I remembered  an old blog post that I wrote last year, feeling the same discontent with the day's activities. I guess if I can't celebrate it right, I just don't celebrate at all. Well, maybe next year!
.
.
Erin Go Bragh! 

0 comments: