"We can exhaust ourselves by seeking significance in what we do and how we are known, hoping that we will be remembered after we are gone. Or, we can lay our lives on God's altar; squandering them in the world's eyes, but entrusting our legacy to our Maker."
[John Piper]


>> March 27, 2010

Thursday night I was able to attend a lecture given by a woman who has spent years in Colombia as a human rights observer. Her topic of conversation was how to accomplish peace in a war ravaged country like Colombia. Listening to her speak about her experiences in the field stirred something inside of me. 
.
I often doubt whether or not I am choosing the right educational path, or aiming for the right career. I question the legitimacy of a life working for social justice. I get concerned that I won't be financially secure.
.
But then things happen, like this woman speaking, that validate why I want to do this. I desire to make a real difference. To be part of a generation that makes this world of ours more habitable and peaceful. There are far too many people accepting or even encouraging the terrors that face innocent people, and I want to be different. 
.
I have been accepted for an internship this summer working with a neighborhood in Lansing, MI that is in desperate need of social justice. I am hesitant because I know how difficult it is going to be. This work is not easy, and the obstacles I will face will be numerable.
.
But I think it is worth it. I think those people are worth it.


0 comments: